Monument record MDR11827 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (site of), Mill Lane, Shirley
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1855 AD to 1855 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map shows a small Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Mill Lane, Shirley. (1) The chapel appears to be in use during the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps show that the building has been demolished. (4) The Wesleyan Methodist have a chapel here [Shirley]. It is neat brick building, erected in 1855, with accommodation for about 70 people. (5) A Wesleyan Chapel in Shirley constructed from brick and tile with a three-bay front with splayed lintels and gabled sides Date tablet 1855. (6) After many years of disuse as a chapel, it became a utility meeting place for Parish Council meetings. The building was sold and demolished in 1995/1996. (7)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XLIII - 15, 1900.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 452.
- <6> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 56.
- <7> SDR20721 Archive: Derbyshire Local Studies. Summary information in parish file. Shirley.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2173 4119 (11m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||SHIRLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 4 2014 4:22PM