Building record MDR11830 - Stone Building, Coumbs Wood, Cromford
Type and Period (2)
- DRESSING SHED ? (Victorian - 1890 AD to 1900 AD)
- QUARRY (Victorian - 1890 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
A well built stone building, measuring 8m by 5m, with a single pitch tiled roof was identified at SK 3125 5720, associated with an area of quarrying, during survey in 2008. The south facing wall of the building has a doorway, broken windows and air vents. The building has been extended in two phases and appears to be in current use, although it is poorly looked after. A limestone outcrop, measuring 20m by 3m, with rock cut quarry bays and moss covered debris at the base of the cliffs is associated with the building. (1) The site is not present on a late 19th century OS map, the area being shown only as woodland, but the building and the associated quarry faces are shown on an OS map at the end of the 19th century. (2, 3)
- <1> SDR20660 Unpublished document: Jurecki, K (ARCUS). 2008. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site Landscape Project: Cromford and Belper Survey Transects. Level 1 Survey.. C3/12, C3/13.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-7.
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-7, 1898.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3125 5720 (7m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM