Building record MDR11849 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Dam Lane, Parwich
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1849 AD to 1849 AD)
- None recorded
A 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a small Wesleyan Methodist chapel on Dam Lane, Parwich. (1) The chapel was still in use at the start of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the chapel is still in use as a place of worship by Methodists. (4) The Wesleyan Methodists have had a chapel in the village since 1849. (5) The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel in Parwich is constructed from squared stone with a slate roof. It has a three bay front with a table dated 1847, recut to 1849, and a later porch. The building has gabled sides with external stairs to the gallery at the north west end. (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIII - 14, 1899.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 446.
- <6> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 55.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1856 5439 (9m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||PARWICH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2009 8:11AM