Building record MDR11857 - Primitive Methodist Chapel (site of), Rake Lane, Middleton
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1850 AD to 1850 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Primitive Methodist Chapel on Rake Lane, Middleton by Youlgreave. (1) By the time of the 2nd ed. OS map c. 1900 the chapel appears to have gone out of use, probably being superseded by another chapel close by. (2) Examination of modern maps indicate the building has been demolished. (3) It is likely that this is the chapel Bulmer mentions in 1895 and may explain why the congregation moved to another, more permanent building. "The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here, a temporary structure of wood, erected in 1850." (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXVIII - 10, 1898.
- <3> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <4> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 507.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1955 6318 (10m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON AND SMERRILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 27 2017 3:56PM