Building record MDR11860 - Wesleyan Reform Union Chapel and Sunday school, Holywell Lane, Youlgreave

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Chapel on Holywell Road, Youlgreave. (1) The 2nd ed. OS map c. 1900 identifies that the chapel and school have been extended or rebuilt. (2) The chapel is still marked as in use on the 3rd ed. OS map c. 1910. (3) Examination of modern maps identify that the building has had some modern alterations but is still in use as a church. (4) The Wesleyan Reform Chapel on Holywell Road, Youlgreave is dated 1857 and has a gabled front with rusticated quoins and lancet windows with wide external splays. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXVIII - 7, 1898.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 57.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2100 6420 (20m by 11m)
Civil Parish YOULGREAVE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 3 2009 8:33AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.