Building record MDR11882 - Wesleyan Reform Chapel, Foolow
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN REFORM UNION CHAPEL (Victorian - 1866 AD to 1866 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map shows a Wesleyan Reform Chapel next to the Bull's Head Public House in Foolow. (1) The chapel was still in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the chapel is still in use as a Wesleyan Reform Church. (4) The Wesleyan Reform Union also has a chapel here, erected in 1866. It will accommodate 350. (5) The Wesleyan Reform Chapel in Foolow is dated 1866 and has a three-bay front of squared rock-faced stone and a hipped slate roof. The fittings include a pair of 17th century chairs with turned legs and triple-arched backs. (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XVI - 6, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 379.
- <6> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 48.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1910 7683 (16m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||FOOLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2009 8:46AM