The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Unitarian Chapel, Smithy Hill, Bradwell. (1)
The chapel was still in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3)
Examination of modern maps indicate the building is still standing and in use as a Scout hall. (4)
The Presbyterian congregation gathered in the late 17th century by William Bagshaw was said in 1695 to 'have prepared a more meet place to meet in'. The meeting house was demolished by a 'popish mob' in 1715 and its successor is reported to have been 'destroyed by fire' in the mid 18th century. The present building, which may stand on the site of its predecessors, is dated 1794 and does not appear to incorporate any earlier work; the congregation was latterly Unitarian. The chapel has been used since 1968 as a Scout hall. The walls are of coursed limestone rubble with gritstone dressings and the roof is covered with stone slates. The front east wall, the south of which is partly covered by the adjacent house, has a doorway with narrowly champhored jambs and a lintel between two cross-framed windows with square stone mullions and transoms, the heads are joined by a stone platband. To the left of the gable is a smaller upper window to light a pulpit at the south end. The west wall has three windows similar to those in the front wall; the north and south gable walls are blank. (5)
A building survey in 2020 suggested the building to be of 4 phases: the original mid-18th century rectangular chapel; a late 18th/early 19th structure added to the southeast; a lean-to structure added to the west in the mid/late 19th century; some minor 20th century alterations. The 1st ed OS map shows the building as a unitarian chapel. So it is likely that the congregation became unitarian in doctrine in during the second half of the 18th century. (6)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). X - 9, 1898.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 37.
Unpublished document: Empsall, J (ARS). 2020. Historic Building Recording, Former Scout Hut, Bradwell.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1712 8115 (22m by 15m)
BRADWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 27 2021 11:00AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.