Building record MDR11892 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Edale Road, Hope
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Hanoverian - 1835 AD to 1835 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Back Street, Hope. (1) The chapel was still in use at the beginning of the 19th century. (2, 3) The Wesleyans have a chapel here, erected in 1835. (4) The Wesleyan chapel in Hope is constructed of stone with a hipped slate roof. It was built in 1835 and enlarged. (5) Examination of modern maps show that the building is still a place of worship for Methodists. (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). X - 6, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 188.
- <5> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 50.
- <6> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 29/06/2009.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1726 8360 (16m by 9m)|
|Civil Parish||HOPE WOODLANDS, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 5 2013 4:04PM