Building record MDR11896 - Primitive Methodist Chapel and burial ground, Buxton Road, Dove Holes
Type and Period (2)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1876 AD to 1876 AD)
- CEMETERY (Victorian to 21st Century - 1876 AD to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
the 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Primitive Methodist Chapel and burial ground on Buxton Road, Dove Holes. (1) The chapel was still in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the building is still in use as a Methodist church. (4) The Primitive Methodist Chapel, erected in 1876, is a stone strututre , with school underneath. It is well lighted and furnished with seats to accommodate 400. On the north wall is a handsome tablet to the memory of William Howe, who died in 1891. The chapel is on the Bradwell circuit. (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XV - 1, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 161.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0757 7782 (49m by 70m)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 5 2013 5:04PM