Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR11897 - Wesleyan Methodist Church, Market Street, Chapel-en-le-Frith

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Wesleyan Methodist Church, Market Street, Chapel-en-le-Frith built c1874. The 1st edition 25" OS map c1880 shows the building, labelled 'Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan)'. 'The Wesleyan Chapel is a neat edifice of dressed stone, with sitting accommodation for nearly 300, erected in 1886 from the designs of Mr J Wiles of Derby. In the east gable are three fine Gothic windows filled with stained glass. The ceiling is curved, showing the massive oak rafters which are supported by corbels. The interior is comfortably furnished. A good organ (cost £154) stands in the recess on the north side. Adjoining the chapel are the school and other rooms. The old chapel was purchased by the Local Board for £344, for offices etc.' (1) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 06 80 TOWN OF CHAPEL-EN-LE-FRITH MARKET STREET 8/52 (South Side) Townend Methodist Church GV II Church. c I874. Rock-faced, coursed, squared gritstone. Gritstone dressings and quoins. Slate roof. Moulded stone copings. Northern porch, gabled nave with spired tower to north-west corner, transepts, offices to south. Early C20 north porch with central pointed doorcase, dripmould over. To either side, single light cusped headed windows. Above, behind porch, original north window. Pointed head, geometric bar tracery. Pilasters either side. In gable above, a cusped, circular, blind opening. Square tower to west with octagonal spire. Cusped stonework to top of square tower, then tiled section. At base of octagonal spire, a band of quartefoils in circles. Above, pointed, cusped headed bell openings on all sides. Over- hanging stone spire above with toothmark decoration. East elevation - cusped lancet window to north. To south, three stepped buttresses, reaching almost to eaves level. Three two-light geometric bar tracery windows, one to south side of each buttress. Transepts have diagonal butresses and central window, similar to nave windows. Cusped lancets either side. Above, rose window. Interior - northern gallery with cusped panels, supported by cast iron columns. Contemporary wooden pews. All windows plate tracery inside. Considerable amount of contemporary stained glass. C20 pulpit and altar. Listing NGR: SK0615680848.' (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. 160.
  • <2> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1088024.

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 06156 80848 (point)
Civil Parish CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 25 2019 4:25PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.