Skip to main content

Building record MDR11903 - Wesleyan Methodist Church, Eagle Parade, Buxton

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on East Parade, Buxton. (1) The chapel had been enlarged by the time of the 2nd ed. OS map c. 1900. (2) The chapel was still in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the chapel is still in use as a place of worship for Methodists. (4) Wesleyan Chapel, Eagle Parade, Higher Buxton, is a substantial building of cut freestone, strongly buttressed and surrounded by a parapet which terminates at the front gable in a bell turret. It was erected in 1849, and was subsequently enlarged in 1880, when side transepts were added and a Sunday school erected. The chapel is arranged in a nave and aisle fashion, and has a chancel separated by a pointed arch, resting on circular decorated pillars, with sculptured capitals in floral design. (5) Wesleyan Chapel, Eagle Parade, was built in 1849 to replace a chapel of c. 1797 which stood on Smithy Hill, of squared stone with a slate roof, in a 14th century Gothic style. Some materials from the former building and timber from the race-course grandstand were employed in its erection. The architect was James Wilson of Bath. In 1880 transepts and a west vestry with organ and choir gallery were added, to designs by R R Duke, and in 1895 under J Bryden, the vestry was transformed into a chancel. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XV - 13, 1898.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 126.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 36-7.



Grid reference Centred SK 0570 7316 (46m by 26m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 31 2018 10:54AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.