Monument record MDR11906 - Congregational Chapel (site of), Hardwick Mount, Buxton
Type and Period (1)
- CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Victorian - 1859 AD to 1880 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a large Congregational Chapel on Hardwick Terrace (now Hardwick Mount). (1) The 2nd ed. OS map c. 1900 indicates that the chapel was enlarged about this time. The chapel remained in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the chapel has been destroyed and replaced by 'Hardwick Gardens', private accommodation. (4) The Congregational Chapel, Hardwick Street, is an imposing looking edifice of cut freestone erected in 1859, at a cost over £2,000, and subsequently enlarged in 1880 at a further outlay of about £1,000. The church comprises nave, aisle, porch, tower, with hexagonal spire, and lecture room. The nave and aisles are separated by five pointed arches resting upon circular metal pillars with octagonal bases, and ornamented with floral designs. The chancel is laid with encaustic tiles, and contains a handsome stained glass window of five lights. The Rev Robert Rew is the minister. Sunday schools were erected in Hardwick Square, in 1880, at a cost of about £700, for the accommodation of 170 scholars. (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XV - 13, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 126.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0597 7345 (26m by 38m)|
|Civil Parish||BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 10:54AM