Monument record MDR11907 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (site of), Devonshire Road, Buxton
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1870 AD to 1870 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Devonshire Road, Buxton. (1) The chapel was still in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the chapel has been demolished. (4) Devonshire Peak Chapel also belongs to the same sect [Wesleyan]. It is a strongly buttressed edifice of freestone, oblong in shape, erected, 1870. It consists of a nave and apsidal chancel, and is well lighted and furnished. The chancel arch is lofty and pointed. The nave is lighted by two-light stone-mullioned tracery-headed windows, two being filled with stained glass. The pulpit is of pitchpine, octagonal, with circular pillars. The font is of stone, beautifully sculptured. The gallery is lighted by a large four-light tracery-headed window. The outside appearance of the building is enhanced by a tower surmounted by an octagonal spire. (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XV - 13, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 126.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0559 7383 (39m by 35m)|
|Civil Parish||BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 10:54AM