Monument record MDR1191 - Great Low, Hartington Upper Quarter
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
A barrow on Great Low, which "had been removed almost to the surface of the land", was examined on the 20th June 1849, but only a small piece of doubtfully (3) Romano-British pottery was found. It is now a scheduled monument. (1,2,4). [SK 10566827] TUMULUS (A fragment of Pottery found). (3). Published survey (25") correct. (5). The barrow on Great Low measures 45 ft in diameter and 3ft in height. Listed in survey. (6). This ploughed-over barrow is sited on the crest of a prominent ridgetop hill. Although it looks to be a very small barrow, this is unlikely to have been the case as it is marked as a barrow on the 1830 OS map. It is unlikely the Ordnance Survey would have observed such a slight mound. The barrow at that time was presumably much larger, the present mound being a small pile of unwanted material which has been subsequently ploughed to give it the superficial appearance of a small barrow. Bateman records finding only a small Romano-British sherd in 1849, at which time he stated that the barrow had been 'removed almost to the surface of the land'. This suggests that it was removed some time between 1830 and 1849. (8) Descheduled in 1993.
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p51.
- <2> SDR15994 Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. 'Romano-British Derbyshire', in Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Vol 1. p255.
- <3> SDR11740 Map: OS County Series. 1922. 1:25000 Derbyshire.
- <4> SDR703 Scheduling record: 1961. A.M's Eng. Wales.
- <5> SDR6107 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 18-MAR-66.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p54.
- <7> SDR9655 Index: NDAT. 0686. 0686.
- <8> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 7:14.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1056 6827 (11m by 12m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2017 3:12PM