Building record MDR11912 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Station Road, Great Longstone
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1842 AD to 1842 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Station Street, Great Longstone. (1) The chapel was still in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that it is still in use as Methodist church. (4) There is a small Wesleyan chapel in the village, erected in 1842. (5) Wesleyan Chapel, Station Road was opened 1843. The entrance was formerly between the south windows. A schoolroom was added to the west incorporating a new entrance. (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXIII -3, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 405.
- <6> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 49.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1988 7174 (10m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT LONGSTONE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 12 2013 11:28AM