Building record MDR11916 - Congregational Chapel and Sunday school, Buxton Road, Bakewell
Type and Period (2)
- CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Victorian - 1844 AD? to 1849 AD?)
- SUNDAY SCHOOL (Victorian - 1844 AD? to 1849 AD?)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Chapel on Mill Street (later Buxton Road), Bakewell. (1) The chapel was still in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the chapel is still in use as a church. (4) The Congregationalists, originally the Independents, have had a chapel here since 1795. The present building, with schoolroom underneath, was erected in 1849. (5) It was said that Bagshaw 'the Apostle of the Peak' was accustomed to visit Bakewell occasionally to preach soon after his ejectment from the Establishment in 1662. Before 1788 pious dissenting gentlemen from time to time visited Bakewell and generally preached outdoors. Later, a barn was secured, pulpit and forms installed and services held. In 1804 the barn was abandoned and the chapel built in Mill Street…in 1824 the chapel was enlarged. In 1842 Mr J Spencer was minister, and the present church and school were built, being opened in October 1844. The church seats 400, and the school holds 160. (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXIII - 11, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 305.
- <6> SDR20737 Bibliographic reference: Clarke. 1928. A short History of the Bakewell Churches. pp 5-9.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2169 6865 (20m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:37PM