Monument record MDR11925 - Old Quarry, Slinter Wood, Cromford
Type and Period (1)
- QUARRY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site
The site is shown as 'Old Quarry' on late 19th and early 20th century OS maps. (1, 2, 3) A quarried north facing rock face, measuring 39m long and 10m high, with a large rock cut bay to the eastern end, was identified at SK 2922 5699 during survey in 2008, situated on the south bank of Bonsall Brook close to the mill buildings. There is a flat platform at the base of the cliff with moss covered rubble of large boulders and debris. (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-10.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-10, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XXXIV-10.
- <4> SDR20660 Unpublished document: Jurecki, K (ARCUS). 2008. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site Landscape Project: Cromford and Belper Survey Transects. Level 1 Survey.. C5/21, Fig. 15.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2922 5697 (39m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM