Building record MDR11931 - Primitive Methodist Chapel, Main Street (West End), Elton
Type and Period (1)
- METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1843 AD to 1843 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Chapel on West End, Elton. (1) The Chapel was still in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the building is still in use as a place of worship. (4) Bulmer records three Methodist chapels in Elton at the end of the 19th century "The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and the Wesleyan Reform Union have each a chapel in the village". (5) Elton holds strong Nonconformist traditions, but only the Primitive Methodist Chapel remains open. (6) Elton Primitive Methodist Church dates from 1843. It is situated by the side of the main road, at the Middleton-by-Youlgreave end of the village. (7)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXVIII - 15, 1899.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 373.
- <6> SDR20739 *Internet Web Site: www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk/elton.htm. http://www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk/elton.htm.
- <7> SDR20738 *Internet Web Site: Kirk J. www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/DBY/Elton/MethodistChurch.html. http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/DBY/Elton/MethodistChurch.html. Photograph.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2206 6094 (9m by 7m)|
|Civil Parish||ELTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 2 2009 11:13AM