Building record MDR11932 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Main Street (West End), Elton
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Hanoverian - 1831 AD to 1831 AD)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Chapel on West End, Elton. (1) The Chapel was still in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the building is in use as the Town Hall (4) Bulmer records three Methodist chapels in Elton at the end of the 19th century "The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and the Wesleyan Reform Union have each a chapel in the village". (5) The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel is situated close to All Saints Church, and is now the Village Hall. An old stone tablet on the wall above the porch is inscribed "Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and Sunday school 1831". A plaque above this reads " Elton Village Hall 1982". Inscribed round the archway of the porch is "Rebuilt 1923 Enlarged". (7)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXVIII - 15, 1899.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 373.
- <6> SDR20738 *Internet Web Site: Kirk J. www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/DBY/Elton/MethodistChurch.html. http://www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/DBY/Elton/MethodistChurch.html. Photograph.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2212 6097 (22m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||ELTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 2 2009 11:18AM