Building record MDR11934 - Wesleyan Reform Union Chapel, Chapel Croft, Elton

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows a Chapel on Chapel Croft, Elton. (1) The Chapel was still in use at the beginning of the 20th century. (2, 3) Examination of modern maps indicate that the building is in use as a private residence. (4) Bulmer records three Methodist chapels in Elton at the end of the 19th century "The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and the Wesleyan Reform Union have each a chapel in the village". (5) The former Wesleyan Ebenezer Chapel a now private house. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXVIII - 15, 1899.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 373.
  • <6> *Internet Web Site: www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk/elton.htm. http://www.derbyshire-peakdistrict.co.uk/elton.htm.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2224 6091 (17m by 6m)
Civil Parish ELTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 2 2009 11:28AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.