Building record MDR11936 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Willington Road, Etwall
Type and Period (2)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1883 AD to 1883 AD)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1838 AD to 1838 AD)
- None recorded
The Methodist chapel in Etwall is a handsome building, lighted by ten Gothic windows. It was erected in 1838, at a cost of £300. It will seat 250 persons. (1) The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows a chapel on Willington Road, Etwall. It has been replaced with a larger chapel by the 2nd edition 25" OS map. It is named as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on the 3rd edition 25" OS map of the early 20th century. (2-4) The Wesleyans have a chapel in the village [Etwall], erected in 1883, at a cost of £1,002, in lieu of an old one built in 1838. It is a handsome building of red brick, relieved with white bricks and stone dressings. It is lighted by 10 pointed windows, and the interior fittings are all of selected pitchpine. (5) Examination of modern maps indicate that the building is still in use as a Methodist Church . (6)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 209.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 747.
- <6> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2704 3188 (16m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||ETWALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 3 2016 11:09AM