Monument record MDR11938 - North Lane, Chevin, Milford
Type and Period (1)
- PACKHORSE ROAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
The former packhorse route from Farnah Green to Milford is marked on Burdett's 1767 map of Derbyshire, running from the turnpike road to the east of Hazelwood, following the western edge of the Chevin to Chevin End. (1) The Chevin is a ridge of millstone grit running north to south and North Lane runs just to the east of the summit of the ridge. North Lane is a well defined trackway that was an important route for transporting lead from Wirksworth to Duffield in the 17th century until the opening of the Turnpike Road, now Farnah Green Road, which was authorised in 1756, but this original lead route may date to earlier than the 17th century. The northern section of North Lane was identified during survey in 2008. At the northern end mature trees line the route and remnants of ancient woodland survive in the banked boundaries. Further south the route is bounded by drystone walls becoming a c. 13m wide well-made cobbled road. To the west of the Napoleonic Rifle Range [SMR 17095] there is a small stand of woodland on North Lane with tree graffiti dated 1912, 1913 and 1937, possibly a lasting epitaph to some of those who used the range and who may have been involved in the subsequent wars. (2)
- <1> SDR3582 Map: Burdett, RP. Survey of Derbyshire, Began in the Year 1762 and finished in the Year 1767.
- <2> SDR20660 Unpublished document: Jurecki, K (ARCUS). 2008. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site Landscape Project: Cromford and Belper Survey Transects. Level 1 Survey.. B1/4, Fig. 53, Fig. 54, Fig. 56, Fig. 65, Fig. 66.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3387 4587 (1409m by 1828m)|
|Civil Parish||BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 28 2016 2:46PM