Monument record MDR1194 - Round barrow, Chelmorton Thorn, Chelmorton
Type and Period (2)
- ROUND BARROW (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- INHUMATION (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- None recorded
A grave mound, nine yards across and two feet high, near Chelmorton Thorn, was opened by Bateman on the 9th August 1859. It contained an Anglo-Saxon burial with two short knives and an iron buckle. (1) [SK 11886953] TUMULUS (Site of). (3) Anglian primary. (4) There are no remains at the published site but to the north-west at SK 1186 6955 is a ploughed over mound 8.0m in diameter and 0.1m high which appears to be the remains of the barrow. (5) The site has been ploughed over and seems somewhat spread, the original diameter was probably c. 8-9m. Bateman noted the mound was earthen of a tempered clay with stone content increasing towards the centre. The inhumation appears to have been in a pit that cut the bedrock slightly. This was oriented east to west. (7)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p105.
- <2> SDR7282 Bibliographic reference: Howarth, E. 1899. Catalogue of the Bateman Collection of Antiquities in the Sheffield Public Museum. p235.
- <3> SDR11764 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <4> SDR12503 Article in serial: Ozanne, A. 1962-3. 'The Peak Dwellers', Medieval Archaeology. Volume 6-7. p42.
- <5> SDR6051 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 02-FEB-66.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p28.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 7:17.
- <8> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 424.0A-9A.
- <9> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 3820.1-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1185 6954 (11m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHELMORTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 14 2016 12:09PM