Building record MDR11949 - Rushop Hall, Rushop Lane, Chapel en le Frith
Type and Period (4)
- HOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- OUTBUILDING (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- COACH HOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- WORKERS COTTAGE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- None recorded
The 1st ed. 25" OS map c. 1880 shows Rushop Hall along with a complex of outbuildings. (1) Examination of modern maps indicate that the buildings remain as they were on that early map. (2) Rushop Hall is a substantial three storey, early 19th century house which is located to the south-west of the building complex, all of which is built of stone. To the north-west is a small two storey outbuilding with stone steps to the side. A substantial range to the north comprises a two storey building with a stone slate roof and to the east of the house is a coach house. This is a single storey construction upslope but two storeys downslope and outside is a large broken rectangular gritstone trough next to the coach house doors. Another large square gritstone trough is located in the stone cobbled yard next to the house and there is also one against the west wall in the north of the yard. This one narrows to one end rather than being truly rectangular. A further traditional building, a small, two storey worker's cottage, is situated in the north-easternmost part of the complex. To the front of the house (south-west) the garden is surmounted by flat-topped walls and there are two small flights of steps to a lower garden which is now overgrown but which has traces of a formal garden path alongside the upslope wall. (3)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR20716 Personal Observation: Shakarian, J (ARS). Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
- <3> SDR20741 Unpublished document: Johnson, A (PDNPA). 2000. Rushop Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire, archaeological field survey, upland option, 2000.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0953 8219 (79m by 126m)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2009 11:56AM