Skip to main content

Monument record MDR11958 - Limekilns and quarries, Perryfoot Farm, Peak Forest

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The bottom of this unusually large clamp limekiln is situated up to 2.5m below the ground surface within a limestone quarry cut into the natural slope of Gautries Hill. The clamp kiln is marked on maps from 1853, while the circular kiln to the east is not. It is unlikely that a disused kiln would be marked on the 1853 estate map, suggesting the clamp kiln was in use at this point. The quarry of the circular kiln is cut by that of the clamp kiln, suggesting that the former kiln went out of use before the mid 19th century. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2001. Perryfoot Farm, Peak Forest, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 2004. p 6-7.



Grid reference Centred SK 1008 8086 (107m by 35m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 9 2009 10:06AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.