Monument record MDR1196 - Village Cross, 158m north-east of St. Leonard's Church, Monyash
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1327 AD to 1900 AD)
[SK 14996655] Cross. (2). The village cross, doubtless placed here in the time of Edward III, [1327-1377] stands at the wide end of the main street of Monyash. (1). The shaft and base have both been restored. (3). Grade II listed village cross shaft, dating from the medieval period. It is constructed of limestone and gritstone with a wide square base in large limestone blocks and with a smaller square plinth. There is also a deep gritstone octagonal base with seven feet high, tapering gritstone pier, with small head. The arms are missing. (6). Photograph collection. (7).
- <1> SDR7725 Article in serial: Cox, J. 1907. 'The Church and Village of Monyash', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 29. p3.
- <2> SDR11750 Map: 1922. O.S. 25".
- <3> SDR6061 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 07-FEB-66.
- <4> SDR9837 Index: NDAT. 1565. 1565.
- <5> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. E71, Fifield, P, 29/06/1977.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <7> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 21/31,32.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1499 6655 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 16 2018 1:26PM