The present walled lane, known as 'The Street' or 'Embridge Causeway', has traditionally been claimed as a Roman road. It is clearly a traditional routeway, as redundant hollow way braids, some deep, exist to either side for much of its length. Before the reservoir was built it ran from a ford and the packhorse bridge at Goytsbridge, where it continues eastwards [See SMR]. Westwards it ran from Pym's Chair [See SMR Cheshire 308/1936] and near the ridgetop an alternative branch [See SMR 31680] ran to Oldgate Nick. While the route probably has medieval origins used as a salt way, the suggestion that it is the course of a Roman road, has not been substantiated. There is no evidence that a Roman road ever ran westwards from Buxton and this should not be assumed to have existed. (1)
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. The Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. 148. Vol 1, p 18.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.