Calver corn mill was built on the present site when it was ousted from its previous position when the Calver cotton mill was built (1803-4) [SMR 3104]. Milling has long since ceased but the building remains as a domestic dwelling. The mill pond has been drained. A smelting mill may have occupied the site in earlier times. (1)
Standing to the south of the Calver to Baslow Road this site was originally a lead smelting mill format least 1616 to 1773. Calver corn mill was moved here from its original site when the large cotton mill was built c. 1785. The mill is built of coursed limestone, with box arched lintels over the windows. It was originally three storeys high but was raised to four at some stage. There was an adjacent miller's house built in stone with tiles and gritstone slates. There was a kiln built on to the south side of the mill. The mill and house were converted into dwelling houses in 1987 when new houses were built on the filled in mill pools. The wheel pit was to the west of the building and indicated that the waterwheel, which is believed to have been of a pitchback configuration, would have been about 16ft in diameter and 6ft wide. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District. p 109.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2442 7444 (148m by 141m)
CALVER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 24 2018 4:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.