Skip to main content

Building record MDR12018 - Former corn mill, Edale Road, Hope

Type and Period (1)

  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

When this site on the River Noe was first used it is not known, although a mill is listed in the Domesday Book. A mill is shown here by Burdett in his survey of 1767. An earlier mill was restored, or probably replaced in 1866. the new stone building had three storeys, with a 13ft. 6ins. wide backshot water wheel of wood/iron construction on its east wall, supplied with water from a dam at the rear of the mill. The mill was purchased in 1925 for £1000 by Wm. Eyre, of Brough, who operated the business until it closed in about 1961. The mill was still marked on the 1962 OS map but was converted into a residence by 1970. (1) The datestone of 1866 on the former corn mill at Hope probably indicates its renovation, or an addition to an older building. The letters 'JRC' are believed to be the initials John Robert Cocker of Hathersage. Threshing was done at the mill and the corn dried by coke fires before being ground. The building was also used as a saw mill, with a subsidiary wheel at the front taking power from the main waterwheel. The waterwheel has been dismantled and removed with reassembly envisaged [?]. While the wheelpit no longer exists and the leats and pond have been drained various mill features have been preserved and blended in to the restoration. (2) Now converted into a house, the mill has a watercourse taken from a tributary of the Noe and a mill pond now in the garden of the house. An old water wheel, relocated from the east end of the mill, stands in a 'wheel pit' by the side of the river. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. pp 46-7.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2004. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part I, Borough of High Peak (second edition). pp. 34-35.



Grid reference Centred SK 1728 8377 (62m by 76m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 17 2015 4:15PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.