Skip to main content

Monument record MDR12027 - Disused umber mine, Long Gallery Plantation, Middleton and Smerrill

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Earthworks depicted as 'Old Lead Mine' on the 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880 are named as 'Umber Mine' on the 2nd edition of c. 1900. (1, 2) The life of the mine was presumably fairly short, as the 3rd edition of c. 1914 shows it as 'Umber Mine (Disused). (3) Umber Mine has been included in the list of High Priority Lead Mining Sites, mainly for its ecological value. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2005. Updated Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District.. p 11, site no. N185.



Grid reference Centred SK 1898 6132 (182m by 231m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 30 2013 2:14PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.