Skip to main content

Monument record MDR12030 - Goytsclough Mill (remains of), Goytsclough Quarry, Hartington Upper Quarter

Type and Period (5)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1850 AD?)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1850 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

At the southern end of Goytsclough Quarry are several ruined structures. To the north of the Deep Clough stream is a levelled platform, once walled round and retained on its downslope side to the east. In the south west corner of the platform are slight traces of a rectangular building or yard. South of the stream are traces of a second building comprising only one surviving corner set into the steep slope above the stream. A rectangular bank further east, in the base of the quarry, may well be nothing more than quarry spoil. These ephemeral traces are all that remain of the Goytsclough Mill complex. It is shown on various 19th century maps. The 1845 tithe map of Taxal shows three main buildings, one of which appears to be that identified north of the stream. When the 1881 OS 25" map was surveyed, the main building to the east had been enlarged, while the building to the north of the stream may have been in ruins. By the time of the 1899 6" OS map was produced several outbuildings seem to have been added. By this date the whole complex was in ruins. It was subsequently (after 1909) mostly quarried away. The mill pond and its leat survive on the hill above. On the 1881 OS map the complex is shown as a paint mill, stone from the quarry presumably being used as the grinding agent for producing pigment. One of the buildings on site was domestic rather than industrial in character. The 1840 OS map shows the mill as a 'scouring mill', used for preparing wool, indicating a change of use in the mid 19th century. The first known map showing the site, where it is marked simply as a 'mill', is Sanderson's county map of 1836. it was presumably built in the 18th or early 19th centuries. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. The Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. 148. pp 43-44.



Grid reference Centred SK 0121 7320 (92m by 133m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3759

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 11 2015 2:19PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.