(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
The remains of the lead mine known as Silence Mine, which was closed in 1885. Excess water was said to have been a problem. (1)
Silence Mine has been extensively reworked for fluorspar at surface, but at the top end of the site there are the previously unrecognised remains of steam engine buildings and associated structures. These include the back walls of a horizontal engine house and boiler house, the possible base of a chimney, and a small sunken ‘chamber’ that originally was one half of a wheel pit which contained a large flywheel and/or winding drum associated with the engine house. Old Grove and New Grove Mine to the east have also been extensively reworked for fluorspar at surface and are primarily of ecological interest; hillocks remain in the northern part of the mines. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District.
Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. p 83-4 (Updated inventory).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1890 7792 (336m by 166m)
GRINDLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 21 2013 6:37PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.