Monument record MDR12056 - Hollow way or causeway, Raven's Low Flat, Hartington Upper Quarter

Type and Period (2)

  • (Elizabethan to Georgian - 1600 AD? to 1759 AD?)
  • (Elizabethan to Georgian - 1600 AD? to 1759 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A hollow way that gave access to 17th and 18th century coal mines. At its western end it becomes a terraced causeway. It is probably the original access track to Goyt's Moss Colliery, created when opencast working started in the 17th century or early 18th century. It was probably superseded when the 1759 Buxton to Macclesfield turnpike was built. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. The Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. 148. p 53.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 0201 7222 (734m by 95m)
Civil Parish HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3759

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 9 2015 9:34AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.