(Tudor to Georgian - 1500 AD? to 1800 AD)
Loading documents & images
A tight concentration of 13 coal mine shafts that lie at the northern end of the Thatch Marsh Colliery. The Ringinglow coal seam as a whole was worked from perhaps as early as the 16th century to the 20th century. Three of the shafts in this area were still active in the early 1760's when Burdett surveyed for his map in 1767. (1)
From at least 1690 coal was available from a small coalfield to the west of Buxton. The principle pits at this early date were at Thatch Marsh and Goyt's Moss which produced coal from the Ringinglow and Yard seams respectively. Nether was of high quality and the latter was particularly poor being very shaley; at nearby Whaley Bridge is was locally termed 'kiln coal', being used mostly as fuel for lime kilns and similar industrial structures. (2)
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. The Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. 148. p 54.
Article in serial: Leach, J. 1995. 'Burning lime in Derbyshire pye kilns', Industrial Archaeology Review.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0284 7234 (134m by 250m)
HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 27 2015 3:38PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.