Monument record MDR12059 - Disused turnpike road, Buxton to Leek branch, Hartington Upper Quarter

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

An abandoned stretch of turnpike road the southern half of which is now a footpath, in part causewayed. To the north there are banks and ditches to either side. This road was built in 1773, together with the Buxton to Macclesfield turnpike [SMR 7175] as a branch of the Buxton to Leek turnpike running form Goyt's Moss coal mines. The northern section may have been abandoned in 1780 or 1804, when the 1759 turnpike road was walled. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. The Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. 148. p 62.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 0208 7147 (195m by 399m)
Civil Parish HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3759

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 11 2015 2:16PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.