Monument record MDR1206 - Possible Medieval Grange and boundary banks, Cronkston Grange, Hartington Middle Quarter
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY BANK (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Bank and ditch of earth and stone "of no great height" on the top of Cronkston Hill and "ranging about 100 yards. On every side of the barrow". Mitchell also refers to "an amphitheatre" on the east side of the hill. Classified as Hill Fort. (3,4) There is little left today of medieval granges, either in remains or documentary references, although the word 'grange' is common on maps of Derbyshire. Generally, although not exclusively, the name is attached to a farmhouse. (5) The "amphitheatre" probably refers to either quarrying or the disused reservoirs - SK 119663 and SK 121663. The earthworks constitute medieval field boundaries. (6) Hart's plan shows the extent of the boundary ditches around Cronkston Grange. (7) Bank and ditch system of earthworks surrounding the medieval Cronkstone Grange. Considerable earthworks within the defined area. Cronkstone Grange is mentioned in 1149 as a grange of Merevale Abbey. (8) Large earthwork bank which encloses on three sides the highest point of Cronkston Low. Three other banks extend off the main bank. This system of earthworks is likely ro be part of the boundaries of medieval Cronkston Grange, belonging to Medevale abbey, founded in the 12th centuy. (12)
- <1> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p125.
- <2> SDR9234 Bibliographic reference: Derby, J A. 1903. Manuscript of Mitchell, S, 1825.
- <3> SDR18814 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1905. 'Forestry', Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Volume 1. p371.
- <4> SDR16210 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1908. 'Notes on some Derbyshire antiquities from Samuel Mitchell's memoranda', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 30, pp 155-172.
- <5> SDR904 Article in serial: Allen, J W. 1956. 'Granges', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 21 (6), pp 24-25. pp 24-25.
- <6> SDR6048 Unpublished document: 1966. F1 BHS.
- <7> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p159.
- <8> SDR12260 Index: OS. SK 16 NW 19. SK 16 NW 19.
- <9> SDR9713 Index: NDAT. 1095. 1095.
- <10> SDR19161 Unpublished document: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Parish file. sketch plan: Butcher.
- <11> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 6855.1-12.
- <12> SDR20247 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 1999. Cronkston Grange, Hartington Middle Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1999. No.2, p14.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 11849 65753 (1042m by 1251m)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2017 3:12PM