Monument record MDR12060 - Disused turnpike road, Buxton to Leek, Hartington Upper Quarter

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

This abandoned stretch of 18th century turnpike road is visible as a cutting made into the steep valley side. It ran a short distance from the present road, to where the causeways to mine shafts start to branch. It was built in 1778, as a short extension to the 1773 branch of the Buxton to Leek turnpike [SMR 33203]. It was probably disused by c. 1840 at the latest. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. The Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. 148. p 62.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 0190 7178 (148m by 201m)
Civil Parish HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3759

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 11 2015 2:16PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.