Monument record MDR12066 - Standing stones, Goyt Forest, Hartington Upper Quarter

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Five boundary stones that are all thin slabs under 0.5m high with rounded tops. There are two pairs with stones facing each other and set about a metre apart. The fifth stone stands alone, out of line and next to the wall corner. The upstream face of this stone is marker '1837', and while the downstream face is marked '36'. Of the two paired stones , the two upstream stones are inscribed '37' and '36' on the upstream and downstream faces respectively. The date 1837 roughly coincides with the building of Errwood Hall in the late 1830's or early 1840's and the boundary may have been defined at the date the estate was acquired. The numbers may also be parcel numbers but this does not explain why one is inscribed '1837'. The path may have been a traditional access path to the coal mines below. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. The Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. 148. p 38.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 0040 7430 (39m by 47m)
Civil Parish HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3759

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 11 2015 2:14PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.