The graveyard at All Saints Church, Findern, is elevated in the order of 1m and more above street level and is retained by a stone boundary wall. Headstones are of 19th and 20th century date, including some in Swithland Slate. An archaeological watching brief carried out during the re-laying of the main footpath and the installation beneath the path of a manhole and drain found an abundance of sub-rounded gravel which appeared to be a dumped deposit. It was concluded that the site was originally judged to be too low-lying and was therefore artificially raised by dumping river gravel to form a low mound, probably preparatory to erecting the Norman church. (1)
The southern and western walls of the churchyard, together with the gateway, are grade II listed and date to c. 1862, when the church was rebuilt. (2)
Unpublished document: Sumpter, T. 2008. All Saints Church, Findern, Derby: Archaeological Watching Brief.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 9/3030/027.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3089 3045 (79m by 69m)
FINDERN, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 12 2016 2:30PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.