Building record MDR12092 - Birch's Terrace (site of), Station Street, Ashbourne

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian - 1800 AD to 1830 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

An historic building recording was carried out at Birch's Terrace in 2009 prior to its demolition. The terrace was built at a time when there was very little development in that area of Ashbourne, and is earlier than the surrounding terraces and the former foundry to the west (see SMR 351). Although the terrace receives its name from Charles Birch, who owned it in 1880, it was previously owned by Robert Docksey Goodwin. The ten original dwellings were built in vernacular style in one phase and remained relatively unaltered, apart from rear extensions that were added in the 1920s or 30s. The dwellings were unoccupied in the 1970s, after which no's 2 and 3 were demolished, no's 4-7 were put into use for storage, and no's 8-11 stood empty. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Lewis, R (CGMS). 2009. Historic building record: Birch's Terrace, Station Street, Ashbourne.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 1794 4627 (19m by 51m)
Civil Parish ASHBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR2721

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 15 2020 9:19AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.