Building record MDR12093 - Former foundry, North Lees, Ashbourne

Type and Period (2)

  • (Victorian - 1860 AD to 1880 AD)
  • (Victorian - 1860 AD to 1880 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

This foundry was developed between 1860 and 1880. It accommodated a variety of metal-working processes, including the casting of iron and brass, the forging of wrought iron and the smelting of brass in an open hearth furnace. It had flues that went to a tall chimney that no longer exist [2009]. The surviving workshop is a long building with large windows that was purpose-built for precision work. Since it was sold in 1913, the foundry had a number of owners and uses. Although the workshop survives, the remainder of the foundry site is now occupied by a modern industrial building. There are still some remnants of the former foundry structures incorporated into the eastern boundary of the modern building. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Lewis, R (CGMS). 2009. Historic building record: Birch's Terrace, Station Street, Ashbourne.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 1789 4627 (39m by 36m)
Civil Parish ASHBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR2721

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 15 2020 9:19AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.