Monument record MDR12096 - Gardens and former parkland to Ringwood Hall, Staveley

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Ringwood Hall stands in a Victorian garden, primarily in character, with specimen trees, a belt of woodland on the road frontage, lawns, herbaceous border and rose garden on the site of a large conservatory. It includes an Italianate garden with terrace, balustrade, urns, steps, box edging and gateway. (1) Bagshaw, in 1846, refers to Ringwood Hall as '…a beautiful modern mansion situated on an eminence with tasteful pleasure grounds ornamented with shrubs and evergreens…'. Sometime after 1895 the house was sold to C P Markham whose father had married one of Sir Joseph Paxton's daughters. It is not, therefore, impossible that Sir Joseph could have had some input into re-modelling the grounds. Markham junior used to open the grounds to his employees at the Staveley Iron and Steel Company on Sunday afternoons and in 1926 transferred the estate to the Company for their benefit. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Personal Observation: Information from N Horton, September 1991.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. p 302.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4147 7364 (617m by 534m)
Civil Parish STAVELEY, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 16 2021 10:02AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.