Site record MDR12097 - Site of Marquis of Granby Hotel, Hathersage Road, Bamford
Type and Period (4)
- FARMHOUSE (Victorian - 1842 AD? to 1880 AD?)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (Victorian - 1880 AD? to 1898 AD?)
- OUTBUILDING (Victorian - 1842 AD? to 1880 AD?)
- HOTEL (Victorian to 21st Century - 1898 AD? to 2010 AD?)
- None recorded
Former site of Marquis of Granby Hotel, Hathersage Road, Bamford, a 19th century farm and later public house. The first cartographic evidence for the Marquis of Granby Hotel, derelict at the time of a 2006 desk-based assessment and 2008 photographic survey, is on the Bamford Tithe map of 1842, where it is shown as 'Sickleholme Farm.' It also appears in a Trade Directory of 1860 under this name. (1) By the time of the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880 it is labelled ' Sickleholme PH,' and on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c1898 it was 'Marquis of Granby Hotel.' The 1881 Kelly's Trade Directory lists it as the 'Marquis of Granby' under the ownership of James Belfield. The farm may have become an inn due to a downturn in agricultural profits and an increase in through trade, perhaps as a result of large amounts of lead mining in the moors to the south. The ground plan of the building appears to have changed little since when it was a farm, despite having a number of modern extensions. (1) A photographic survey of the building was carried out prior to the commencement of proposed renovation and site redevelopment in 2008. Although it was possible to identify several different phases of building work at the site, it was not possible to establish the order in which the works took place due to it being unsafe to access all areas of the building at the time of the survey. None of the buildings appeared to be older than the mid 19th century. The main Georgian design hotel block and associated two storey rear extension are likely to be the earliest surviving structures at the site. (2) According to Google imagery (air photos) the complex was still extant in 2005, but by 2010 all but the northeast building (possibly the former farmhouse) had been demolished. By the time imagery dating to 2016 was taken that remaining part had also been demolished.
|Grid reference||SK 2078 8227 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BAMFORD, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 27 2020 8:57PM