Monument record MDR12143 - Cropmarks north of Twyford Road, Willington
Type and Period (3)
- RECTILINEAR ENCLOSURE (Early Neolithic to Roman - 4000 BC to 409 AD)
- DITCH (Early Neolithic to Roman - 4000 BC to 409 AD)
- BOUNDARY DITCH (Early Neolithic to Roman - 4000 BC to 409 AD)
- None recorded
At a date when this field was arable land (1963), vertical aerial photographs recorded parts of a near-square enclosure with ditches extending from it to the north and west. The series of parallel ditches may be furrows remaining from medieval ploughing but the small extent visible was insufficient to identify the reverse-S shape that characterises such ridge and furrow cultivation. (1) Boundaries ditches were also identified on aerial photographs assessed as part of an aerial photographic mapping survey carried out in 2009/10. Features are interpreted as being later prehistoric/Roman boundary ditches and a rectilinear enclosure. (2)
- <1> SDR20677 Unpublished document: Palmer, R (Air Photo Services). 2004. Willington Power Station, Area Centred SK3129, Derbyshire: Aerial Photographic Assessment. pp 4-5; figure 3.
- <2> SDR21002 Digital data: Archaeological Research Services (ARS) Ltd. 2009/2010. Aerial Photographic Mapping Survey carried out as part of an Aggregates Resource Project.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3016 2857 (149m by 122m)|
|Civil Parish||WILLINGTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2016 3:47PM