Monument record MDR12146 - Route of tramway, Aston Hill
Type and Period (1)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
The 1st edition 1" OS map of the late 1830s shows a 'Railway' running east from a 'Plaster Pit' immediately to the west of Derby Road, north of Aston Upon Trent, before turning south-east towards the Trent and Mersey Canal. (1)
By the 1880s it had been extended down the west side of Derby Road and then west, to access plaster pits in and to the south of the present Toadhole Plantation. The 1st edition 25" OS map shows a small building on the wharf by the Canal. (2)
Map: David & Charles edition, Sheet 35. 1840. OS 1" map, Nottingham. Surveyed 1836-1839, with later revisions.. 1" to the mile.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4185 3017 (1792m by 669m)
ASTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 3:13PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.