A modest, single range house of two storeys and three bays, originally of 17th century date and later, but perhaps with an earlier core. (1)
Alkmonton Old Hall sits on a well-drained south-facing slope just south of Alkmonton deserted medieval village, and is a grade II listed farmhouse. It is built largely of locally made dark red bricks and is set on a plinth course of cruder bricks with parts of an earlier plinth of dressed and re-used Keuper Sandstone blocks. The evidence of the fabric suggests that the shell of the building is largely 18th century, erected on the footprint of an earlier house, probably largely timber-framed but set on a stone plinth, parts of which survive. Assuming that the house actually represents the earlier Hall converted into a farmstead and much replaced and rebuilt, the preceding structure was probably the house on which Gilbert Barnsley, the then owner of the estate, was assessed for tax on four hearths in 1662. That house may have been constructed when John Barnsley bought the estate after the dissolution of the monasteries. It seems likely that the shell of the present farmhouse was built sometime between 1727 and 1735. There is, however, some possible evidence for the earlier house in the interior, as at least two purlins in the roof appear to be re-used interior stud wall plates, while the chamfered beams on the first floor, with modestly decorative stops, and a door made of earlier 17th century oak panelling all suggest that as much as possible from the previous house was re-used. There was clearly some rebuilding of the house in the last decade of the 18th century or first of the 19th, with further alterations in the Victorian period, possibly effected on a change of tenancy, and in the 20th century. (2)
A watching brief was carried out inside the hall in 2010, and in addition to finding evidence of medieval building fabric pre-dating the 17th or 18th century building, the work established that '…the original fireplaces were reduced in size to accommodate smaller fire grates. This would have coincided with the modification of the chimney stacks, often adding ceramic pots to the chimneys as occurred at Old Hall Farm. This practice was commonly undertaken in the 19th century.' (3)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 13 NE PARISH OF ALKMONTON LEAPLEY LANE 5/1 (East Side) Alkmonton Old Hall II
Farmhouse. Mid C18 with C19 and C20 alterations. Red brick with brick dressings and first floor band. Mid C19 plain tile roof with two brick ridge stacks. Two storeys plus garrets . Four bays. Mid C19 gabled porch with semi-circular headed doorcase, C20 door and plain fanlight. To east, tall segment headed cross windows with C20 casements. Two similar windows to west and three similar above with similar blocked opening over the porch.
Listing NGR: SK1933237362.'