This is an unusual small school building that was built by subscription in 1844. The gable end to the road has a Classical doorcase, ashlar quoins and a plaque. The plaque is a stone panel that looks like an open book and is inscribed 'Simmondley School built by Subscription AD MDCCCXLIV'. There is a wall and railings in front of the building. (1)
In 1837 a room was taken over some cottages as an Independent Sunday School. It was decided that a Chapel should be built and a subscription list was opened for the purpose and people from Charlesworth and Simmondley contributed. Some members of the community who were in the building trade helped in the construction of the chapel, which was built in 1844. Sunday School was held every Sunday afternoon and some of the builders were also teachers. Later on a vestry and stone cellar were added to the Chapel. The building is in use today as a Pre-School Playgroup . (2)
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(b).2, with photo.
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated 24/10/2009.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0204 9318 (13m by 16m)
CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 13 2015 9:10AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.