Monument record MDR12163 - Leevale Rope Works (site of), Marple Road, Charlesworth

Type and Period (1)

  • (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1882 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A rope walk appears at this site on the 1st edition 25" OS map. (1) It is named as 'Leevale Rope Works' on the 2nd edition OS map and appears as long, narrow buildings. (2) It does not appear on the 3rd edition OS map, and the buildings on the previous edition have since been lost. (3) Lee Vale rope works is listed in Kelly's Directory in 1891 as belonging to Booth John & Son, cotton band manufacturers. (4) Lee Vale Mill was first built in a field off Higher Mill Lane (now Coombes Lane) and made cotton ropes. After a boiler explosion in 1889 when Robert Booth, partner, aged 60 years and Harry Booth, manager aged 25 years were killed, new premises were built along Marple Road in 1908 by John Booth and Sons. The business survived extremely difficult times and eventually expanded successfully, manufacturing cotton twine. By 1916, it was owned by Jacksons of Hobroyd. The twine was made in Charlesworth and then transported to Hobroyd, Glossop, to be made into ropes [please note that it is uncertain whether 'Lee Vale Mill' refers to this rope works, or the cotton mill just up the road (SMR 3676), or both. It is difficult to correlate this information with the historic mapping]. (5) Long, narrow strips of land where the rope walk was situated can still be seen on modern OS mapping. It is not known whether anything now remains of the former rope works. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: 1891. Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland. pp 78-9.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Fullarton, J (Charlesworth Heritage Group). 1985. Just a Glimpse of Charlesworth. pp 12-3.
  • <6> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 18/02/2010.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 0024 9255 (95m by 85m)
Civil Parish CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 25 2010 1:38PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.