Monument record MDR12164 - Lee Vale Mill (site of), Marple Road, Charlesworth

Type and Period (2)

  • (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1882 AD)
  • (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1896 AD to 1921 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Lee Vale Mill is a cotton mill that appears on the 1st edition 25" OS map. (1) By the 2nd edition OS map the mill is marked as disused. (2) By the 3rd edition OS map the mill is being used for the production of rope. (3) Lee Vale Mill is listed in Kelly's Directory in 1891 as belonging to Booth George & Sons, cotton band manufacturers. (4) Lee Vale Mill was first built in a field off Higher Mill Lane (now Coombes Lane) and made cotton ropes. After a boiler explosion in 1889 when Robert Booth, partner, aged 60 years and Harry Booth, manager aged 25 years were killed, new premises were built along Marple Road in 1908 by John Booth and Sons. The business survived extremely difficult times and eventually expanded successfully, manufacturing cotton twine. By 1916, it was owned by Jacksons of Hobroyd. The twine was made in Charlesworth and then transported to Hobroyd, Glossop, to be made into ropes [please note that it is uncertain whether 'Lee Vale Mill' refers to this mill, or the rope works just down the road (SMR 3675), or both. It is difficult to correlate this information with the historic mapping]. (5) The area has since been redeveloped into what appears to be housing. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: 1891. Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland. pp 78-9.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Fullarton, J (Charlesworth Heritage Group). 1985. Just a Glimpse of Charlesworth. pp 12-3.
  • <6> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 18/02/2010.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 0036 9267 (80m by 72m)
Civil Parish CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 25 2010 1:36PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.