Monument record MDR12166 - Newcastle Pit (site of), Shipley Colliery, Shipley
Type and Period (2)
- COLLIERY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- MINE SHAFT (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Newcastle Pit appears on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880 as part of Shipley Colliery. (1) By the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900, the site has been planted with trees and is named as Newcastle Plantation. (2) A couple of disused shafts still appear to survive within this plantation . (3)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4402 4513 (139m by 204m)|
|Civil Parish||SHIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 17 2017 2:56PM